Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Fat Feet

I'm 5' 7" and weigh 125ish lbs. When I was 20, I weighed 105 lbs at this same height. I wasn't healthy at all and certainly wasn't on a 3 meals-per-day with snacks eating schedule. I remember actually getting angry (and telling people, no wonder people call me a bitch) that Abercrombie finally came out with size 00, but didn't make their size 00's in extra-long length.

Erica and I went on our bi-annual trip to West Hartford, CT to buy fun clothes from the BP section of the Nordstrom there. It was a tradition to shop shop shop and then splurge on pasta dishes at the nearby Macaroni Grill.

I was in complete lust when I found a beautiful pair of BCBG Girl stiletto sandals with little butterflies on them (I was 20). The shoe saleswoman brought them over to me and tried to slip one on my foot. They wouldn't go on. My feet were too fat to fit through the front of the sandal. "For a tiny little girl, you have amazingly fat feet!" she said, with a snarky giggle.

Since then, I've known I have fat feet. My little sausage toes really could go to market. If available, I wear wide shoes. I only wear heals with pantyhose which keep my feet from swelling throughout the day. Basically, I'm like a 70-year-old woman with a salt-intake issue.

I've learned to live with this problem of mine. Now that I'm not as tiny as I once was, it is no longer as cute a witty response to compliments- "I'd trade in my size zero tooshy for your petite size 6 Narrow feet." I don't try on sandals that look narrow and know that Ferragamo's slide on much better than Jimmy Choos. Boots, though, have never been an issue. My calves are on the smaller side (well, in comparison to my child-birthing hips) and, if anything, buying boots that don't fall down my calves is more an issue.

Until Sunday, at Parisian's in Mobile with my Mom. Leave it to BCBG Girls to once again make me feel like a complete fatty. I've seen this problem with jeans and skirts and top, but goodness, what's a girl to do about fat feet?

1 Comments:

  • At August 11, 2009, Blogger Natasha said…

    God I wish I had the answer!It's so frustrating! I keep thinking that if I lost weight and looked anorexic my feet would thin out.
    I wish fat feet were one of those features where I could say,'Hey, this is great! I'm different from everyone else :)"...but ummmmmm, it's not so much fun to be different with fat feet because there are no shoes!
    Anyway, thanks for your post because (and this may sound a bit evil) it feels so good to know that I'm not the only normal sized woman with fat feet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home