Monday, March 05, 2007

My heart could take a chance.

But my two feet can’t find a way. You think that I could muster up a little soft, shoop devil sway. But I don’t feel like dancin’. No sir, no dancin’ today.



The Pea grew up in Lexington, KY with Babydaddy from Scissor Sisters, so last night she got Vive and I free tickets to the totally fab (and totally sold out) show at 930 Club.

The Pea, "yeah, Scott's stage name is Babydaddy. But, we're supposed to refer to him as Babydaddy when we talk to him now. Even if it's not on stage. I mean, I suppose it must be traumatic growing up gay in Lexington."

In the cab ride over, Vive asks, "So this Scott/ Babydaddy guy, is he hot?" The Pea and I snicker.

Me to Vive and the Pea, "All these beautiful men all over the place, and 95% of them are gay."

The Pea, while leaving the bathroom, "no line for the girls room, yet a massive wrap-around line for the men's. Guess we're at, like, a Scissor Sisters concert."

The band was colorfully dressed (Jake Shears wore a Miami Vice-style white, fitted suit with paint splashes all over it), overly spastic in their dance moves, and had images of breasts flashing behind them.

Ana Matronic on the Cabaret Laws in NYC: (if Giulani does to the country what he did to NYC) "There are no dancing signs in bars all over the city. Where's Kevin Bacon when you need him?"

Ana and Jake Shears on a letter they got from a mother in Sydney after one of their concerts. "She didn't like that we used bad words in our songs. Um, what do you expect going to see the concert of a band named not only after a term for lesbians, but after a lesbian sexual position!"

Oh, and the dancing and music was fabulous too. So Studio 54!

I had a headache the rest of the weekend. I went to bed with it Friday night. Woke up with it Saturday. Swallowed a Claritin-D and several Advil with the girls at Spices before Adas Israel's pre-Purim services wine and cheese reception. Brought it back by drinking 4 glasses of wine and then sitting in an overly heated, extra bright service for 30 minutes, and then made myself nauseous commuting alone down to Southeast to meet Sassy and District Belle for Sassy's birthday drinks at Finn MacCool's (which rocks with a live band and totally fun atmosphere).

I'd never been to that strip of bars on 8th St. SE even though District Belle and Sassy talk about "the Mug" regularly. I was definitely impressed by the actual scene along the strip seeing as my only trip to that area was to Backstage, Inc. during the middle of the day. Though, I'm sure any area of DC is a little creepy during the middle of a winter work day. I'll definitely have to go back once my headache is gone. My cab back to Dupont was only $8.80. Same cost for me as coming from Adams Morgan. Have I mentioned that I hate the DC zone system?

Now, I feel like dancin'. Unfortunately, I've got work. Blah.

5 Comments:

  • At March 05, 2007, Blogger I-66 said…

    You could always dance at work. Rumors that I've done this before can be neither confirmed nor denied.

     
  • At March 05, 2007, Blogger Lara Ziobro said…

    Love the bathroom line comment!

    So glad you braved it to venture over to 8th, even with the headache! There's a fun piano bar too that we should hit up... totally not fancy, but fun.

     
  • At March 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are so totally going to have to accompany me to every Scissor Sister's concert I go to, couldn't have had anymore fun!! Next time though I think I'll request that they don't go on stage at 10 oclock on a sunday night...does that make me lame?!?

     
  • At March 05, 2007, Blogger Sam.I.Am said…

    i-66: Your Publicist leaked out that you were spotted doing the Electric Slide near the water cooler. Comments?

    District Belle: Yay! I'm totally into trying out more bars there. Though, I'm on day 4 of my headache. I think I have a brain tumor.

    The Pea: OMG! I'm so in for another concert. If it is a Sunday again, we should take off the next day of work. I think guys in spandex justify such things.

     
  • At March 05, 2007, Blogger I-66 said…

    That was not the Electric Slide!

    That was the Cha-Cha Slide, and I'm firing my publicist.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home