Friday, April 28, 2006

Cinco de Mayo Shabbat Style

Tomorrow night my Shabbat Cluster is meeting at my apartment for our 5th dinner together. And, because I'm a complete moron, I decided to change the evening into a theme. Cinco de Mayo.

The problem?

A) I don't know how to cook anything that doesn't have meat in it... well besides salad and pasta. Our meals must be vegetarian. Thus, my phone call to APK while in Safeway today went something along the lines of "Okay, I'm from Bama. I know I say I cook all the time, but honestly, I cook with meat. What the hell do I put in a veggie faijita?" Luckily, APK is well-versed in these veggie Shabbat dinners. Luckily.

B) I don't know how to make sangria. I drink plentttttty of the stuff. At Ella's for happy hour. At Cafe Citron for happy hour. At... well you get the point. But here's pretty much the conversation that took place between me and the dude in the liquor store. "Hi. I have a question about ingredients for sangria." "Huh." "Do you speak English?" "Yes." "Oh, k. Sangria." "Like Spanish drink." "Yes." "Here's a book." "Thanks." "K. It looks like I need brandy, wine, and triple sec." "Here." "I don't know that I need such a big bottle of brandy. I only need an ounce per bottle." "Better deal." "Yes, but I don't drink Brandy." "You should." "K. I'll just take the smaller one, thanks." So, we'll see how this thing ends up. Probably not the best idea to get a recipe from the actual liquor store. I have this thought that my drink may be very very very strong.

C) I've never ever ever bought refined beans. Imagine my shock to see a vegetarian option in the cans. Hmmm, I thought, what's in refined beans that's not vegetarian. Oh yeah- Lard. Actual Krispie Kreme/ Oreo scandal lard. Great, there goes me ordering refined beans at a restaurant. Not that I ever did. But still.

D) Salad or no salad? Yeah, basically tomorrow night I'm going to gain 500 pounds. Chips and salsa and Toll House chocolate chip cookies for afterwards... because salad and accessories for salad were way more expensive. Looks like I won't be fitting into my jeans come Saturday.

On another note, I'm not sure how cleaning ladies are always so chubby. Honestly. I scrubbed down the kitchen, vacuumed, swept, mopped, dusted for about 4 hours tonight. That's gotta burn some calories right. Now one would think if you did that all day every day, you'd be looking at a pretty good workout. Just saying.

Anyways, that's all. I'm tired.

1 Comments:

  • At September 17, 2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    It is good to read someone from D.C. I used to live there for five years.

    I love Sangria. Sangria is wonderful combination of alcohol and fruits.

    You can learn how to make sangria at How to a Make Sangria

     

Post a Comment

<< Home