Thursday, January 18, 2007

So, I did it...

I attended a blogger meet-up. Well, with padding, considering the person organizing it is a friend from outside of the blogosphere. Vive came with me. We laughed much, and met up with some pretty normal folk. Of course, funniest conversation:

Vive looks across the table to someone.

"Can I ask you a strange question? Are you a poet?"

Everyone giggles, "We're all poets."

"No no. I mean, did you ever perform at Bossa Nova in Adams Morgan?"

"Yes. I did."

"Okay, I knew you looked familiar. My friend is a poet, and I spent a week with her going to different places."

Early in the day, I was emailing with I-66 discussing why I was cautious about attend a blogger happy hour. I'll just cut and paste what I wrote.

Well, there's a fine line. I'm not much for self-promotion (and not very good at it) and don't really expect that anyone will find my blog well-written and insightful (you know, unless learning about Clarissa is what you're looking for). It's mainly just for the entertainment of my friends. So, if I went, I'm not sure I'd want to say I had a blog. And then, if I didn't, I'd become a blogger groupy. Besides which, I think DC bloggers often pick on a lot of things I write about or are involved in. Who really wants that title? I'm probably over analyzing. I joked to Rob the other day: Did you ever think you'd be friends with an Alabama Conservative in Junior League on LNS?

Truth is, I was curious. Extremely curious and completely impressed. Very glad I went. Although, sitting with I-66, two blogger approached and introduced themselves to me. "Do you have a blog?" "Uh, no. I don't," I responded. "Oh, so you're like a blogger groupy." Then they got to talking to one another again.

I-66 smirked, "I was wondering how you'd field that."
"Blogger groupy," I distastefully repeated.

12 Comments:

  • At January 18, 2007, Blogger Lara Ziobro said…

    Next time I'll have to go with you. Safety in numbers. We're pretty similar profile-wise, except I would be moderate rather than conservative... close enough!

     
  • At January 18, 2007, Blogger I-66 said…

    You did call it correctly, but there are plenty worse things to be called than blogger groupy ;)

     
  • At January 18, 2007, Blogger Joelogon said…

    Ahh, so you aren't a blogger groupie... but you are a big ole fibber.

    Nice meeting you, anyway. -- Joe (the guy who called you a groupie)

     
  • At January 18, 2007, Blogger Adam said…

    As the "other guy" on the conversation I think I should point out that there was at least one actual blogger groupie there that night - Jamy told us she had one :)

     
  • At January 18, 2007, Blogger Sam.I.Am said…

    Tehe, I've been caught. Yeah... a bit timid.

     
  • At January 19, 2007, Blogger I-66 said…

    Right. I wouldn't even buy 'timid' with a coupon.

     
  • At January 19, 2007, Blogger Amee Hart said…

    So wait- it's not ok to go if you don't have a blog, and if someone has a blog, you won't speak to them?

    Nice "all-inclusive" party.

     
  • At January 19, 2007, Blogger Amee Hart said…

    I meant, if someone doesn't have a blog, you don't speak to them.

     
  • At January 19, 2007, Blogger Sam.I.Am said…

    Wait me? I have no problem speaking to people without blogs. In fact, I'd be more inclined to talk to you if you didn't have a blog. I was just saying, there's no way around being categorized as one of the two.

     
  • At January 19, 2007, Blogger Adam said…

    It's not that you don't talk to people without a blog, but a straight denial can throw you a bit. The usual ice breaker was something along the lines of "So, what's your blog about?".

    There were other non-bloggers there that were building start ups and other things and that would be your in on conversation. With a straight up denial without explanation, you can imagine the potential exchange:

    person1: "What is your blog about?"
    person2: "I don't blog"
    person1: "Oh, right, OK" --tries to think of appropriate response and can't--

    End of conversation. Or of course you can make a glib comment, call them a blog groupie and start a big comment thread later on :)

     
  • At January 19, 2007, Blogger I-66 said…

    Guys, there are plenty of things that are not related to blogging specifically that are talked about at meetups and happy hours. The fact that we all have blogs may be our common thread, but it isn't all we have in common.

    You don't have to have a blog to go to one of these events. People that are just readers have been known to attend (though generally those folks end up starting blogs of their own in the end), so yes, it is all-inclusive.

     
  • At January 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A little late to the convo here, but I'd like to emphasize that EVERYONE is welcome to these gatherings. But you can't be surprised if someone asks if you have a blog.

    And my "groupie" did have a blog. He also appeared to have an unhealthy obsession with me.

    Last, I've brought a good friend who doesn't have a blog to happy hours before. When asked she'll usually say, "I'm a sidekick." But I do write about her a lot.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home