Monday, April 16, 2007

As American as Apple Pie.

I tend to match people to songs. Like, I constantly have a soundtrack running through my head where almost every song I hear reminds me of someone. When it comes to guys, I realized I've had a ton of men I've dated remind me of "American Pie." Second up would definitely be "Cheeseburger In Paradise." And then there's another category for Beach Boys songs like "G-d Only Knows." I suppose you could say I like my men about as wholesome as an apple a day. Ideally, I'd like a guy who loves football, barbecues, RVing, lab puppies, Polo shirts, country music, Head & Shoulders... ya know, Tim McGraw minus Faith Hill, tehe.



Missdy planned a birthday party for Eye on Friday night. We met at Eye's apartment at 8pm, and I drank half the bottle of wine with "subtle hints of apple" in it. The girls took shots. By the time we arrived at Lucky Strike for the bowling portion of the evening, the world was twirling around me even more than the disco lighting. I still managed to take 56 pictures. The ones from the later part of the evening weren't exactly of people as much as they were of people's backs.


Eye declared in the bathroom that she was the drunkest she'd ever been. The picture above (one of 3 pictures I have of Eye taking shots) might help enlighten you to why this actually could have been the certain case.

Saturday morning, I awoke slightly hungover and headed over to DC Central Kitchen to volunteer for Kids in the Kitchen . We worked with mothers and daughters who are enrolled in a year long program to teach teenage girls life skills. A DC Central Kitchen chef taught the girls to chop vegetables and make a healthy pizza and apple crisp. Then, a nutritionist explained the new food pyramid which emphasizes portion control and exercise.

I met Jer Saturday evening at CAN's kickoff party at an overly packed McFadden's. I arrived after the 6pm-9pm slated time for the gathering. I looked at the line to get in and called Jer's phone to declare that I wasn't planning on staying long enough to wait in a line (honestly, I just refuse to wait in a line to get into McFadden's). The CAN player cards for McFadden's state that you can skip the line at any time. Jer annoyed the bouncer until they let me in. I felt like the biggest loser ever for exerting that much energy into entering McFadden's.

Yesterday evening, I met District Belle and others at Christ Church to help make food for the homeless. Salvation Army has a van that stops at different places throughout the city each night. Different churches in the area fund 150 brown bag meals and provide volunteers for the preparation and delivery of these meals each night. Christ Church provides food every Sunday and Monday night. The Salvation Army requires that at least 150 meals are made (District Belle was on the van serving last night and said it was terrible when they ran out of food) and that women are served before men. I assume this has something to do with the fact that homeless women often have children to feed as well.

I cooked apple crisp myself last night for myself and a friend. Looking at the extra in my fridge this morning, I thought about the weekend. As American as apple pie unfortunately doesn't apply to everyone in America. This blog is not meant to be a political commentary, as I've said before, so I'll leave it at that...

2 Comments:

  • At April 16, 2007, Blogger I-66 said…

    I like mine with lettuce and tomatoes / Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes / a big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer / good god almighty which way do I steer...

    And for the record: You? McFaddens?

     
  • At April 16, 2007, Blogger Lara Ziobro said…

    The apple crisp wasn't thaaaaat bad. It would actually be perfect for a brunch item! Thanks for sharing, as we crashed your pad close to 10 =)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home