Tuesday, August 08, 2006

GW Hospital Sucks

I guess I'm spoiled when it comes to medical treatment. It's one of the perks to having a daddy who's a doctor. I didn't grow up waiting for hours to be seen by my doctor or having less than ample treatment. I suppose I've also been lucky and not been overly sick.

So, I was quiet at the George Washington University Hospital ER back in April when my IV created a gazillion bruises. It also helped that all the Residents were on that evening. I think I looked pretty pitiful and thus the male ones were rather attentive on my stay.

It wasn't until these horrid Radiology visits all summer that I experienced what most Americans must base their hate towards hospitals on. I've never been one to get scared by doctors or hospitals. Mainly, I suppose, because I always get good treatment.

Yesterday, I took the day off to get an MRA of my Renal Arteries. I set the appointment up on July 14th. I also pre-registered (something completely unnecessary that GW makes you do) on July 14th. One extra damn channel.

I couldn't eat before the test. My test was set for 10:30am on August 7th. The next available date on July 14th. I got there at 10:15am. They'd lost my appointment. I saw the front desk Radiology receptionist who sent me to the Accountant who sent me to some bitchy woman who said, too bad. "I took today off from work. You ARE seeing me today. So, you better find my reservation." Then they took me to the front desk. Then I waited in Radiology for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, the Radiology receptionist brought me back to the changing area. He handed me a locker key and two gowns. Then left. I changed and locked up my stuff, and came out to find no one. I waited another 30 minutes and walked back to the reception area. "What do I do now?" "You wait," he said.

I went back to the locker and got my book and my cell phone. And waited. And waited. And waited. At 11:45am, I called my mother. She told me to call my doctor, and she'd call the head of scheduling. My doctor told me I had to stay put and really needed this test. Damn. Then, the scheduler walked by and I asked when they'd see me. She went and asked and said 30 minutes. I said that was unacceptable. She said, did I want her to cancel my appointment. I should have said, "Go to hell you fat lazy cow."

At 12:15pm, they put an IV in my arm and sent me back to wait. At 12:45pm, I called my mom. I was sitting, waiting in a gown, with no instruction and an IV in my arm. She called the Hospital Director. Dropped my dad's name and position. The Director came over in 5 minutes. Apologized. Offered his business card. Said it was unacceptable. I was cold towards him. Very hungry and tired by this point. Plus, who says an IV doesn't hurt... it does, thank you very much.

10 minutes later, I was on the machine for my MRA. The room smelled of fried food. I think the technicians went to lunch while I was waiting. Damn hospital politics. Now, what does someone do at GW who doesn't have a father who's a doctor?

We went to Screen on the Green in the evening. I don't get why people dance at the introduction of the movie. It's apparently a tradition. Looked strange to me. The movie, To Have and Have Not, was not as interesting to me as the Looney Tunes intro cartoon which had Bugs Bunny drafted to the army. Definitely circa World War II. Very funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home