Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Manners


I once read that a Libra's ideal world is a place where everyone has perfect manners. Wouldn't that be ideal? And, I'm not talking about knowing which fork to use for salad at 1789. I'm talking about a world where everyone says "thank you." Where boys open doors for girls and hand-written notes are sent to commemorate the receipt of a gift. I'm talking about a world where friends remember your birthday with a call rather than an e-card and help you clean up the dishes (or at least offer) after they have dinner at your house. A world much like the one I've been living in the last couple days. It's ideal.
I don't want to blog too much, but I forgot how much I appreciate good manners!
John (my bf from Bama) yelled at me in NYC for not allowing him to open doors. His mom would literally stand at a door waiting until he or his father opened it. Back in Bama, I got so used to good manners and no PDA that I was shocked by dating in college. And, the first time I saw two people making out on a dance floor, my jaw dropped and I pointed the couple out to Ali. She laughed, "welcome to the Northeast!"
I think when you've had an absence of manners in your life for a long time, it's even more impressive when you find yourself around them again. Someone who opens doors, offers you water, makes sure you're doing okay. Someone who makes sure you get in the door okay before they leave. I find myself smiling just thinking about it. Politeness in DC. It does exist (though the person I'm commenting on is from the South).
Smilin'.

4 Comments:

  • At March 21, 2007, Blogger I-66 said…

    I'm with you to a point.

    I go out of my way a lot with the holding of doors and such, but the random lady who's a good 10 yards ahead of me, stopping and waiting next to the door and watching me arrive in expectation that I'll open the door for her deserves nothing.

     
  • At March 21, 2007, Blogger Sam.I.Am said…

    So, what you're telling me is that Virginia boys are raised well too? Though, perhaps, a bit more stubborn about people who require manners.

     
  • At March 21, 2007, Blogger I-66 said…

    This Virginia boy, anyway.

     
  • At March 28, 2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    Well I am def from the northeast. Went to school in the midwest where on a date the guy opened the door for me and I kept walking thinking I was at the wrong car. Manners are a great thing if you recognize them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home