Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Salsa in Virginia

I joined AC last night at the Clarendon Grill for Salsa class. We were both amazed at #1 the turnout and #2 the amount of non-sketchy single men who attended. The beginner's class takes place every Monday at 7pm, Intermediate at 8pm, and then there's dancing at 9pm. Total cost- $5. Definitely going to make that a regular Monday night spot.

The only side note: at the beginning of class they split the guys and girls up on either side of the dance floor. When the class is ready to move to partner dancing, it becomes reminiscent of a 6th grade sock hop. The boys literally cross the dance floor looking for a partner. I was sitting out having a drink at that point in the class... a hot boy crossed towards AC, and (I'm so not joking) this large, unattractive woman jumps out of no where and asks him to dance with her. Reminded me of Rhonda from Saved by the Bell after Zach bugged Kelly's sleepover (FYI: I'm currently organizing a middle-school style party for my gal pals in DC with Clarissa Explains It All, Domino's Pizza, and Yoohoo. You'll have to bare with my random 1980-early 1990s references during these next couple weeks!)

After I saw Dirty Dancing Havana Nights, I made Ali go salsa dancing every weekend in NYC. She lived in Spain for a while and has a condo in Miami, so she was much better at the actual steps than I was. It took me a couple of nights (and glasses of sangria) at SOBs and Gonzalez Y Gonzalez to get used to the idea that the short, dirty foreign men weren't hitting on us at all. Rather, they honestly just wanted to dance. I loved the way they'd move you, so you had no other option but to salsa like a pro. I was trying to explain it to my friend Jon who ran into last night at Clarendon Grill. Basically, if they want your foot to move backward, they are leaning in to you so you have no option but to step back. If they want you to spin, they are flipping your hips and body until you are twirling like the ballerina on the top of a jewelry box.

On a completely irrelevant note, my brother forwarded me this nostalgia video. I laughed so hard when I saw it yesterday that I had to close the door to my office. If you don't get it, you aren't a child of the late 80s and early 90s.

2 Comments:

  • At January 09, 2007, Blogger Lara Ziobro said…

    Sounds like fun... I'm so in for the next round. Salsa is one of the few things I miss about Miami!

     
  • At January 09, 2007, Blogger I-66 said…

    Ahh Salsa at CGrill. I went a few times a couple years ago and it was exactly as you described. At the time I was having problems because my partner (friend, we decided to take lessons together) was as stiff as a board and very deliberate with her movements (wish I'd known that beforehand) and any adjustments I made to her carried over to when we switched partners and I had to get used to someone new. I still remember what little I learned, though I don't think I could hang with a true salsa dancer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home